record type question?

From: name <someone_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:41:59 GMT

I would to build a stored procedure that would be able to transpose rows into columns based on a delimited list of keys. Currently, I have a view that accomplish this transformation, where a key is tied to an in-line view.

My first idea is to use a Record where I dynamically create columns based on the number of keys passed to the proc.

My second idea is repetitively call a procedure that returns a two-column Record (an id column and a value column), then somehow combine these Records into a single Record with multiple columns (id,value0,value1...).

Are either of these approaches technically feasible? Is there better approach? I'm using Oracle 9i.

Thanks,

Craig Buchanan Received on Fri Dec 31 2004 - 12:41:59 CST