Re: monthly batch reports via Oracle?

From: Christopher Jung <cjung_at_blank.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:15:04 GMT

You can most very definitely build text files on the server. As an interim step I would strongly recommend using pass-through queries in Access if you aren't already.
I'd suggest writing some views to fetch and format the data, then it is fairly painless to build your text files from wherever you want.

I'm not much of a DOS expert so I can't provide the syntax for your looping. I am not sure if DOS does here documents?

Build a script with a loop.
Inside the loop you call sqlplus ( not sure what command line of sqlplus is called for Oracle 7 on NT ), direct output to a file, run the view for the loop's customer id or name.
In a previous step you could have built the list of customer ids/names, that is what you are looping over.

Mail merge software is beyond my expertise.