Re: Define a job to run once an year

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Dec 2004 11:32:52 -0800

Rather than a misuse of a sequence I think the desire to reset once per year at year-end is more likely an indication that the sequence number is just part of a larger key value, or the result of the need to limit the size of number within a limit imposed by legacy systems.

One of the online brokerage firms I have had dealings with appers to generate transaction numbers that include the date as the first part of the number. It is very likely that the remainder of the number is a sequence value. Resetting the sequence value at regular time periods when it is not otherwise in use would provide a means to keep the total value within a certain set number of digits which may be necessary to meet legacy, audit, EDI, and/or legal requirements.

While the widespread restting of sequences would indicate design and usage problems I can see where in specific cases such activity is a valid business requirement.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sun Dec 26 2004 - 13:32:52 CST