Re: How to use the SAME transaction in a distributed environment

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:34:42 -0800

allond_at_fts-soft.com wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm looking for a possible solution to the following problem:
>
> 1. My application consists of 2 separate processes (lets call them A
> and B), running on 2 separate machines (using CORBA as middleware)
> 2. Both A & B are using the SAME Oracle-DB instance (probably the same
> schema too - but not necessarily)
> 3. The tables are separate (A has its own tables, and so does B)
> 4. I want to implement kind of a "distributed" transaction:
> a. A will start a transaction, do it's INSERTs, and then "pass" the
> transaction to B.
> b. B will do it's INSERTs, on the transaction it got from A
> c. The COMMIT can be done either by A (after B finishes) or by B.
>
> Does Oracle have any solution for this issue?
> (I'm using Oracle 9i, C++, and OTL)
>
> Thanks, merry Christmas and a VERY happy new year...
>
> Allon.
>
> ---
> Allon Dafner
> Formula Telecom Solutions
> Visit our website: http://www.fts-soft.com

This has all of the hallmarks of a really bad idea. Can you explain why it is you think you want to do this?

I can tell you for recent experience that this same thinking went into a vote tallying application for a very popular American TV program (that shall remain nameless) and the only way the multitude of problems were solved was by a complete redesign.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington