Re: How to use the SAME transaction in a distributed environment

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2004 11:49:04 -0800

for the logic you present, I doubt ANY DBMS has such a feature. You have two programs, separately connected to the DB from two different machines! They HAVE to be separate transactions.

Your proposed design seems faulty from the outset, but if you really, really, REALY have to have this kind of feature, you might consider a third process C that accepts the transaction information from A and B and at the commit from one of them, build the session and actions to do the actual transaction in the DB.

Of course then you'll have to handle rollbacks (process B dies before process A does the commit, WHAT do you do?), data errors (the data A and B send fails the contraints on the tables being used, now what?), and other problems (power failure kill the C process, is the transaction just committed lost or not?). My strong suggestion is find a new design.

   Ed Received on Thu Dec 23 2004 - 13:49:04 CST