Re: How to put traditional Chinese text into Unicode Oracle 9i database via Internet Explorer

From: Hans <sorry_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:08:50 +0100

Hi!

I don't know what type of system you are using (activeX control?) but if it is a pure html pages you insert data and have asp code or semething similar on the server to insert the data you submit it does matter what the encoding in the page is.

You can either set a content header ("Content-Type", "text/html; Charset=utf-8") or add a meta tag in the html page. In my asp pages I also set the codepage like this (first row in page) which tells the asp enginge which codepage to use when building the output.

<%@ Language=VBScript CodePage=65001%>

In my case I forgot to set the content header in the beginning and when I fetched data everything looked OK. I could see chinese characters etc but when I submited data (saved) it was not saved correct and the next time I looked at the data it was corrupted. Setting the content header fixed this. I think you can actually try this by opening the page and if you see the correct characters change the encoding in the page to utf-8 and try to save. Setting the header will force the browser to select the encoding automatically.

Of course they must have a font installed that can present all characters.

Regards
/Hans Received on Thu Dec 23 2004 - 05:08:50 CST