Re: ORA-03113 and init.ora setting db_block size

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_NoOrSaPcAlMe.com>
Date: 22 Dec 2004 09:38:53 -0800

In article <32tp07F3pmjq1U1_at_individual.net>, Rytis Sileika says...

>You're absolutely right, the 3113 error is very generic, so you cannot
>identify problem properly when you get it. I was just trying to show one
>of the reasons why you can get it.
>
>Problem is, that when you make a mistake in setting block size during db
>creation process there's no way you can tell what's wrong when you get a
>message right in to your face telling 'end of file ...'.
>
>And yet again you're absolutely right telling that 32k might not be the
>right block size. However the point of this post was to show what may
>cause 3113 error and how I tackled it.
>
>My apologies for doing all that harm, honestly, sorry I am.
>

>Anurag Varma wrote:
>>"Rytis Sileika" <rytis@_NS--PLEASE-REMOVE-THIS_dr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I encountered this problem and thought it might be helpful to someone if
>>>I share my experience.
>>>
>>>When creating a DB with 'dbca' tool (Oracle 9i (9.2.xx)) it failed with
>>>the error code ORA-03110 (end of file on communication channel).
>>>
>>>This error was caused by wrong setting in generated init.ora file. I set
>>>variable 'db_block_size' to 8MB and Oracle just failed. When I reduced
>>>it to more reasonable value of 64k, I got an error message telling me
>>>that this variable can only be set to values from 2k to 32k. So I set it
>>>to 16k and everything went well.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Rytis
>>

>>Firstly: ORA-3113 is very generic error. It could be caused by a lot of totally
>>different reasons.
>>
>>Then you are trying to imply here that a resonable value of db_block_size is
>>64K!
>>And on top of that you go ahead and plug in a value which made everything go
>>well.
>>
>>db_block_size is a very important parameter. A wrong value chosen can be bad for
>>your application.
>> In that sense, you are actually doing more harm than good by your post here.
>>
>> I would recommend reading this:
>> http://www.dizwell.com/html/db_block_size.html
>>

>> Anurag

Rytis:

Don't beat yourself up over this. You made a mistake, but the software should never have failed with an ORA-3113. Instead, it should have thrown a more descriptive error.

I suggest contacting Oracle Support and logging a bug.

                                   Rick

--
                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation