RAID 1 or RAID 10?

From: Ric <ric_at_somewhere.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:28:07 -0000

Just about to set up our new Oracle server. The box is a Dell PowerEdge 2850, Dual Xeon 3.6GHz with 4 Gb RAM and 4x 18Gb 15,000 RPM Drives. I am about to set up the RAID array and am unsure as what would be best. I was originally going to use RAID 5 but am unsure now as I have read so many bad things about using it with Oracle. Some form of redundancy is requred so here are my proposed alternatives:

  1. 2x RAID 1 arrays - this would give me a total of 36Gb and as each volume would be mirrored I would have the necessary fault tolerance. I could then split data across the two arrays, i.e. Windows Server 2003 and system files on one and data files on the other
  2. 1x RAID 10 array - this would have the data striped over two disks which would be mirrored to provide the fault tolerance. I would only have one volume but there would be a performance increase due to the striping. I'm not sure if there is much worth to having a stripe set with only two disks.

Any strong feelings or opinions?

Thanks.

--
Ric.