Re: ORA-12541 NO LISTENER PROCESS

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:45:20 +0100

On 14 Dec 2004 07:25:16 -0800, zana_f_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I did install toad version 6.3.11.1 on my cpmputer.But the toad cannot
>make connection to the database, the message error appears ORA-12541 NO
>LISTENER PROCESS . i have oracle 8i on my pc.
>
>Even if i want to log in with sql plus i get the same error ORA-12541
>NO LISTENER PROCESS .
>
>Does you know what might be the reason en how i can solve it ? i
>appreciate your help.
>
>thank you

Either you simply don't have a listener configured (which you can check by running lsnrctl status in a dos box) or the port number in tnsnames.ora doesn't match the port number in listener.ora.

If the database is local to your PC, you don't need the listener. Simply setting the ORACLE_SID env var to your SID would do.

Your Toad version is way old.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA