EXECUTE IMMEDIATE and DBMS_SQL

From: <pbewig_at_swbell.net>
Date: 13 Dec 2004 08:45:32 -0800

I am writing a PL/SQL program (a single anonymous block) that performs a query input by the user at run-time. I want to allow the user to read any table or view in the database, and call any stored functions they might use. However, I am worried that a user, either through carelessness or malice, might try to write in the database, which I want to disallow (and record any attempt in a log).

I've never done anything like this before.

I know about EXECUTE IMMEDIATE and DBMS_SQL. Can I restrict access to read-only by either of these two methods? Is there some other technique I might use? What words can I use to search this newsgroup in Google Groups? What else do I need to be aware of?

Many thanks,

Phil Received on Mon Dec 13 2004 - 10:45:32 CST