Re: formatting output with SQL*Plus

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 07:57:49 -0800

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> On 09.12.2004 08:04 Frank Piron wrote:
>

>>1)
>>Write a stored proc which spools the text file using
>>the utl_file package. You have full control over the
>>formatting and you have a chance to understand it if
>>you look at it 2 years later.
>>
>>2)
>>Call the stored proc with SQL*Plus from your batch.
>>

> I have never used the utl_file package, but to my knowledge this will create the
> file on the server, correct?
> As I have no access to the Oracle server (other then through SQL) how would I
> get the file from the Oracle server to the server where the batch file is running?
>
> Cheers
> Thomas

You are correct. If the format you want is field concatenated to a single vertical bar concatenated to a field then the answer has been previously provided to you:

SELECT column_name || '|' || column_name FROM ... If that is not what you want please restate your request.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington