Oracle ODBC problem!

From: Hans <sorry_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:20:41 +0100

Hi!

I have an Oracle 9.2 database set up with UTF-8 and nls_length_semantics=char (W2000 Server). I have data in an access database which I want to insert into oracle. I link from Access to Oracle using Oracle ODBC driver version 9.02.00.54.

In Access I have a table with a text field with size 4 (Access is unicode compatible so I can add 4 chinese characters if I want). In Oracle the field is three times as big because the nls_length_semantics is char so the field is varchar2(12) (4 char=12 bytes when using UTF-8). When I create a query to insert data I get the following error

ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column.

I tried to set the "Force retrieval of Longs" on my ODBC driver (workarounds tab) but I cannot get it to work.

Regards
/Hans Received on Thu Dec 09 2004 - 07:20:41 CST