Re: formatting output with SQL*Plus

From: Frank Piron <empty_at_zero.nil>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:04:01 +0100

Am Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:03:46 +0100 schrieb Thomas Kellerer <NNGNVRDSJEBN_at_spammotel.com>:
> Alan,
>
> thanks for your help. But unfortunately none of them are options I can
> choose (I do have a 3rd party tool that I could use) but I'm limited to
> SQL*Plus as the thing is a batch job running on the server with no user
> interaction possible and I'm not able to install software there.

I would proceed as follows:

1)
Write a stored proc which spools the text file using the utl_file package. You have full control over the formatting and you have a chance to understand it if you look at it 2 years later.

2)
Call the stored proc with SQL*Plus from your batch.

Regards

--
Frank Piron,
defrankatkonaddot