Re: Oracle Certification Path?

From: GQ <dbaguy_ott_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2004 10:12:29 -0800

First the easy part, Oracle database 10g is the latest version, it just came out this last year.
Database client and server software are always released together. As for Oracle 11i , I don't know much about it, but it is their financial application and
I believe that it's been out for quite some time, and I don't know if you can get certified on it. On the database side, Oracle has produced a new version of their db software every 2-4 years and has upgrade exams, if people want to keep their certification up to date

As for how much such a certification is worth, that is very debatable. I am certified at the 7.3, 8, 8i and 9i level, and I 'may' write the 10g exam, sometime in the future.
The benefit for me is that I use it as a structure for new things to learn (cover everything for the exam).
The benefit for my employer is that when they bid on a contract, they can put my
certification as proof of my competences - for lack of any other measure.

Certification though doesn't come close to certifying a good knowledge of database administration,
as lack of certification doesn't indicate a lack of knowledge either. Most administrators with good experience know this (and some HR personnel)
Experience is way more valuable then certification, but certification doesn't hurt.
IMHO - It rates between "education level" and "other interest" on a resume. Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 12:12:29 CST