Re: HELP: Re-start 10g on RH3 Install from scratch

From: Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.valid>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:41:03 +1300

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>

>> Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>> No. It works, as advertised (I presume the screenshots are ripped
>>> from my website?). If your .bashrc doesn't work, then you haven't
>>> done it right.
>>>
>>> If you do things the way the dizwell site describes, *accurately*, I
>>> will *guarantee* things work first time, every time...
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>

>> My findings are at odds to that statement.

> Which statement? That if you do things "the dizwell way" it will work?
Instead of jumping down my throat, why couldn't you have just read *all* of my email before commenting?

>> After installing WB3.0 to a Compaq DL-360, and getting it 'up2date',

> And where does it say on Dizwell to up2date anything? (Clue: it doesn't.
> You do a clean WB install, and you install Oracle onto that. You up2date
> afterwards.)

With only 10 years dba Oracle dba experience, as compared with 20 of *nix administration, it's second nature to me to include all patching of an operating system as a part of the base install. The fact that you don't points to a knowledge base heavily biased in the opposite direction.

As your documentation is formatted as questions and answers, let's look more closely at the first one, shall we?

'Q. OK. I’ve actually dug up a spare machine and installed White Box Linux on that, rather than a virtual machine. Now... how do I install Oracle 10g onto it?'

Now where does that state that I've only got to load the disks, and not patch it to current? As it happens, I was running into these problems before respin 1 was released, using V.3 fixed.

So, if I go to another page in your website, the one that tells me how to install an operating system ( which is hardly relevant to me ), I'll find out that I was attempting to run the wrong version. Maybe that's the problem. I'm certainly not going to reinstall everything just to check your results.

>> I had to apply patch 3006854 before getting anywhere.
>> Without it I got:
>>
>> /oracle/product/em10g/oracle.swd.jre/bin/../bin/i686/native_threads/jre:
>> relocation error:
>> /oracle/product/em10g/oracle.swd.jre/bin/../lib/i686/native_threads/libjava.so:
>> symbol __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6
>> with link time reference
>> Configuration assistant "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant" failed
>>
>> due to the fact that libcwait.so doesn't exist.
>>
>> Is this just that I have an old version of 10g?
>>

>> Steve

> I have no idea, Steve. Since I don't invent things, but merely document
> what works for me, what is on the website er... worked for me! If I'd
> needed to apply the 3006854 patch (which you must apply for a 9i
> installation, true enough), I'd have mentioned the fact. That the patch
> is not mentioned in the 10g installation notes is because I didn't need
> it. All I can repeat is that it helps *not* to do things the website
> *doesn't* advise you to do (such as use up2date), as well as doing those
> things it *does* advise you to do, before claiming that the website
> advice doesn't work.

I was extremely accurate and specific in the problems I found, quoted from the diary I kept at the time. Why not put a block of *exact* prerequisites on your install page? Like which versions of 10g ( mine was the original release ), and WBEL ( the second in my case ).

> The stress in the statement you appear to disagree with, in short, is in
> the word "accurately".

No. I had a problem. I did things differently, as there was scope to do so given the way your Oracle install page was written. If others with similar experience to me do the same as me, they will have the same problem. Guaranteed.

> Regards
> HJR
>
> PS. I don't mean to sound defensive, though I probably do, but in the
> past three weeks I've performed six installations of 10g and two of
> 9i... and I used my own website to walk myself through them all (which
> is why the pages were written in the first place, of course). So it's
> not like this isn't repeatable, over and over.
No, you don't sound defensive. Just arrogant. I'm not perfect, and nor are you. I've pointed out potential problems in reading your Oracle install on WBEL page out of context of the rest of your website. You can ignore my findings, or improve your site.

Using your own work is like teting your own code. You know how it works, so you're not testing impartially.

It's your call.

Steve Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 02:41:03 CST