Re: HELP: Re-start 10g on RH3 Install from scratch

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:05:47 GMT

HansF wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:48:27 -0800, ana wrote:
>

>>Sorry about that.
>>I run RH & slocate is standard with (all/some/most) RH releases.

> Apology not necessary. I happen to run at least 8 different distros and
> tend to use most common denominator.
>
> To tell the truth, I'd totally forgotten about slocate (and locate) as I'm
> quite happy with 'find'. (Then again, I do have root access.)

Locate can be found in "findutils-locate" package for SuSE. I'm not aware of slocate for that linux flavour.

Just to advocate locate: it is faster and less resource consuming than a find (the heavy part is the updatedb but it can be done at night).

Cons: it is not up to date. If you search a file added after the updatedb you won't find it.

But probably you are already aware of it.

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com