Re: HELP: Re-start 10g on RH3 Install from scratch

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:28:20 GMT

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:15:58 -0500, robert wrote:

>> Remember that on RHEL3, Oracle puts a bunch of stuff into /etc - the
>> oratab AND the orainventory location is found there.  If you list
>> /etc/*ora* you should find 2 files and a directory that need to be removed
>> for an absolutely clean re-install.
>>
>> HTH
>> /Hans

> This is SO weird, I swear to God I spent HOURS picking thru /tmp and /etc
> I dropped user "oracle", dropped the groups, re-created. re-cpio the
> download.
>
> * Only thing I did not delete was /etc/oracle directory and it's empty *
>
> but everytime I do runInstaller, it refuses to show the "Specify
> Inventory" screen (http://tinypic.com/uolrn)
>
> So as of right now I am still baffled:
> "How the heck does Oracle know I aborted the original install ???" >I{

The answer to the last question - usually thru the oraInst.loc file, usually found in /etc, which is written (as well as the /etc/oratab) as a result of the first oraInstroot.sh during the orainventory screens.

So what do you get when you, as root (tmalss), run

  1. cd /etc; grep -i ora *
  2. find / -name \*ora\* -print

BTW - be aware that AFAIK Oracle still has not fixed the problem with dbhome (usualy in /usr/local/bin/) that looks for oratab in /opt/var instead of /etc where the install scripts usually place the file. As a result, the oraenv in /usr/local/bin will not work.

/Hans Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 13:28:20 CST