Re: HELP: Re-start 10g on RH3 Install from scratch

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:09:06 +1100

Fabrizio wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Fabrizio wrote:
>>
>>> Two names for two different uses.
>>> bashrc works for non-login sessions while bash_profile for login ones.
>>>
>>> Often the distribution links bashrc into bash_profile.
>>

>> I just want to see what he's got. I leave this sort of nuance to those
>> linux experts who appreciate it!! The specific distro he's using, and
>> the specific advice he's following, works... so I would want to see
>> what he's doing to explain why it's not working for him when doing the
>> .bashrc thing.
>>
>> In other words, I don't ever make a distinction (and neither do my
>> notes, therefore): it is always .bashrc I edit, and it always works.
>> Whether it's the best thing to do, who knows. Point is, why does it
>> work for me and not for him. (Rhetorical question).
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> I have read your documentation and this is my guess (I don't have a
> redhat where to test it):
>
> when you create a directory in /home is created and the file in
> /etc/skel are copied.
>
> Amongst them .bash_profile and .bashrc
>
> Redhat 8.0 (the only one I can have a look at the moment) has:
>
> # Get the aliases and functions
> if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
> . ~/.bashrc
> fi
>

> in its .bash_profile. So if you insert the env variables in .bashrc
> you'll have it even for the shell opened with .bash_profile.
>
> If the OP doen't have those lines (or something similar) he won't be
> able to have the env set for every kind of shell.

Your Linux advice is, as usual, excellent. But I don't want to confuse the OP with it!

This isn't about Linux best practice (valid a discussion though that might be in another time and place). This is about a distro and an Oracle version and a set if instructions that work, over and over again... except for one person.

*I* don't have to start poking around inside .bash_profile. And if I don't, neither does the OP.

And rather than him starting to thrash around /etc/wherever/omygod trying to fix up the problem, the simpler advice (IMHO) is: wipe it all clean, do it again, and this time do it like I said to do it!

> Reason for the OP issue? Maybe he changed the original files in
> /etc/skel, maybe he didn't create the user as you advised but with
> different command parameters... and then added with a mkdir the
> directory into /home...
>
> Of course this is only a guess...

Utterly valid points, and perfectly to the point. In other words, if he went off on a wild traipse through the undergrowth of "do your own thing", all bets are off. I entirely agree.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Dec 06 2004 - 13:09:06 CST