Re: HELP: Re-start 10g on RH3 Install from scratch

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:49:43 +1100

robert wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> robert wrote:
>>

>>> http://tinypic.com/uolrn
>>>
>>> Image above is the dialog box that is "supposed" to be the FIRST
>>> install box.
>>>
>>> I have gone past this one, ran orainstRoot.sh, and got to this screen
>>> : http://tinypic.com/uom0m - when I had to abort.
>>> (env variables in .bashrc not working, .bash_profile - OK, Howard :P )
>>

>> No. It works, as advertised (I presume the screenshots are ripped from
>> my website?). If your .bashrc doesn't work, then you haven't done it
>> right.
>>
>> If you do things the way the dizwell site describes, *accurately*, I
>> will *guarantee* things work first time, every time...
>>
>>> ** I deleted the following:
>>

>> Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's off down a deep, dark path of hacking that we go....
>>
>> (My advice is: if you start having to invent steps, stop).
>>
>>> orainventory folder, file(s) created by orainstRoot.sh, all files
>>> create by installer in /tmp, enen re-cpio the download. **
>>>
>>> I WANT TO START FROM THE BEGINNING.
>>

>> That's why the website says to use a virtual machine and to take a
>> backup of it before you start. You did actually follow the
>> instructions, didn't you??
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>

> hi Howard, thanks for the reply.
> Yes, RH3 is running as guest under VMWare 4.5.2. XP host.
> I put those env variable into oracle's .bashrc as described on dizwell
> and I actually re-logged into Linux X desktop as "oracle" to do the
> install but apparently those env variable didn't take effect. so
> ORACLE_HOME was not seen. So I put them into .bash_profile as I did on
> all previous installs I did.
>
> In my silly confidence, emboldened with the dizwell docs, I did not take
> VM snapshots. :(

Honestly, Robert: .bashrc works every time. I wouldn't have documented it thus if it wasn't running in front of me in precisely that way.

On the other hand, so long as the variables actually get set, then it shouldn't matter precisely how. But the worry I have is that one thing I do all the time and documented accordingly isn't working for you... so what have you done wrong to make that happen? In other words, that the .bashrc didn't work for you is symptomatic of greater problems.

Care to share your .bashrc with us?

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Dec 05 2004 - 17:49:43 CST