Re: HELP: Re-start 10g on RH3 Install from scratch

From: robert <rchin_at_nietspampanix.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:36:35 -0500

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> robert wrote:
>

>> http://tinypic.com/uolrn
>>
>> Image above is the dialog box that is "supposed" to be the FIRST
>> install box.
>>
>> I have gone past this one, ran orainstRoot.sh, and got to this screen
>> : http://tinypic.com/uom0m - when I had to abort.
>> (env variables in .bashrc not working, .bash_profile - OK, Howard :P )

> No. It works, as advertised (I presume the screenshots are ripped from
> my website?). If your .bashrc doesn't work, then you haven't done it right.
>
> If you do things the way the dizwell site describes, *accurately*, I
> will *guarantee* things work first time, every time...
>
>> ** I deleted the following:

> Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's off down a deep, dark path of hacking that we go....
>
> (My advice is: if you start having to invent steps, stop).
>
>> orainventory folder, file(s) created by orainstRoot.sh, all files
>> create by installer in /tmp, enen re-cpio the download. **
>>
>> I WANT TO START FROM THE BEGINNING.

> That's why the website says to use a virtual machine and to take a
> backup of it before you start. You did actually follow the instructions,
> didn't you??
>
> Regards
> HJR
hi Howard, thanks for the reply.
Yes, RH3 is running as guest under VMWare 4.5.2. XP host. I put those env variable into oracle's .bashrc as described on dizwell and I actually re-logged into Linux X desktop as "oracle" to do the install but apparently those env variable didn't take effect. so ORACLE_HOME was not seen. So I put them into .bash_profile as I did on all previous installs I did.

In my silly confidence, emboldened with the dizwell docs, I did not take VM snapshots. :( Received on Sun Dec 05 2004 - 16:36:35 CST