Oracle ODBC driver connect fails and get 100% CPU using VB app ????

From: Frederic <fjean_at_sun.net.bb>
Date: 5 Dec 2004 13:05:03 -0800

Hi all, we really need your help on this one...

We are developping a VB 6.0 app on Win2K SP4 server.

The Oracle DB is 9.2.0.5 and we are using the Oracle client installation 9.2.0.1 to install Windows Components and NET Manager on the client machine. When this is done, we upgrade the ODBC drivers to 9.2.0.5 using the updated JAR files on the Oracle web site.

Now we are using:
ADO 2.80
Oracle 09.02.0050
OLE DB 02.00

MSDASQL.DLL 02.80.1022.0
SQORA32.DLL 09.02.0005
ODBC Driver 03.52

The applications starts 10 simultaneous (ADO) ODBC connections to the server and it works perfectly for hours. We can stop and start the connections and send queries without any problem.

The problem is that when we stop and restart these connections over time, at some point it tries to connect to the server but the re-connection never happen and the app starts using 100% CPU all the time.

This is an intermittant problem and it happens on one Win2K server only (prod) but does not happen on the DEV machine.

The connection function is an asynchroneous call and it seems that the DB_Connect event is never being called when this happen. It looks that no error is being generated from the driver, it just hangs there.

Is there any thing that you would suggest to do in order to pinpoint where is the problem ?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Fred Received on Sun Dec 05 2004 - 15:05:03 CST