Re: How do I use ROWNUM in a subquery (emulating SQL Server TOP n)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 15:27:32 -0800

billiauk_at_yahoo.co.uk (Adrian Billington) wrote in message news:<dee17a9f.0412030315.32108bfa_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> It wasn't Howard to whom I was referring - this has nothing to do with
> him whatsoever.
>
> I mentioned a "select few". Some of the responses provided are
> absolutely shocking/astonishing. So every time I do come back to
> usenet, I end up in threads like these because it upsets me !
>
> So perhaps I should draw a line under this and say that from now on,
> I'll let it all fly over my head. The real test being of course the
> next time I see a poster in need of some help being shat on for no
> particular reason. If I can just get over that one, I'll have it
> cracked...

There's a lot of monkey-see monkey-do here. Take a gander at posts from, say, Mark Powell or Jonathan Lewis, and strive to emulate their politic. Then perhaps some others will moderate their tone. I daresay, even Sybrand has mellowed with time (this thread notwithstanding).

Yes, I know I need to take this advice too.

It's laudable to try to defend newbies. A neutral tone helps.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Don't stomp on the brakes too hard: