wierd behaviour with cursors and tracing

From: tone <dmclaude_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 13:14:44 -0800

All,

I am trying to solve a production problem. We are connecting to Oracle 8.1.7 using jdbc selecting about 400 rows into a cursor using a stored procedure and then displaying the rows. Now this process is taking over 30 seconds to run. When we extract the sql out of the stored procedure and run it, the results are returned instataneously. Same if we just exec the stored procedure from a sql*plus window.

Here is the final twist. We set tracing on and the results are returns instataneously (verifiably ONLY when tracing is on). I.e. we turn tracing off, and it is back to crawling speed. Turn tracing on, and its lightning fast.

Can anyone shed any light on this? We are NOT on medication. We've done this about 10 times just because my dbas refused to believe it.

thanks for any help.
-t Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 15:14:44 CST