Re: Need help on the Oracle Sequence Number

From: Trevor Best <nospam_at_besty.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:36:24 +0000

Ken wrote:

> Is there anyway we could create a trigger that could create the
> sequence number as soon as we enter a value? It should be very
> similar to the "Auto Number" on Access, or "Identity Seed" on SQL
> Server.

No. You'd get the same behavior in SQL Server too, you might appreciate the fact that the server cannot generate a number until you ask it to, unless you save the record after entering the first bit of data (not practical if you have required columns) then the first time you contact the server about that record is when you've finished with it. Do what everyone else does and re-design your front end to cope. You shouldn't be *that* interested in the number that's been generated anyway.

Some groups dropped, FFS Ken, c.d.o.marketplace? You after a job?

--
This sig left intentionally blank