Re: FGAC and Crystal Reports

From: Marty Timm <mtimm_at_kvsinfo.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2004 11:47:04 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1101672985.399791_at_yasure>...
> Marty Timm wrote:
>
> > Has anyone that is using Oracle's FGAC (Fine Grained Access Control)
> > been able to use Crystal Reports with it? Has anyone using FGAC
> > successfully used any other end-user report-writers/query tools with
> > it?
>
> I can't think of any reason why FGAC wouldn't work with any method of
> Oracle access ... report writer or otherwise.

Perhaps I asked the wrong question. My understanding of FGAC is that it typically uses the login userid to determine how to set the context. My situation is slightly different. All users will connect to the DB using the same DB userid but will have different "application userids". The application authenticates the individual's userid and password, the calls a stored procedure to set the context. This is where the report-writers start to get marginal.

The report-writer I am using can call stored procedures, but each and every call to the database is handled as a unique session. As such, the session in which the the procedure is called to set the context is long gone by the time the actual query gets executed. The query, not having had the appropriate context set, does not return the rows that would be specific to the appliction userid.

So the question might more accurately be stated, "Has anyone used report-writers (Crystal Reports, for example) that can call a procedure and set a context within the same session that the end-user query will be executed?" Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 13:47:04 CST