Re: Unique constraint and NULL values

From: hankr <hankr_at_skillview.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:51:31 -0500

Not sure anyone really answered this before they went off on the tangent.

I believe you can create an after-insert statement-level trigger (not for each row) that CAN read the after-insert state of the subject table without mutating.

So in that trigger, do something like:
var := 0 ;
select 1 into var from dual where exists (   select count(value), value from table
  where value is not null
  group by count(value)
  having count(value) > 1 ) ;
-- then test var, if it is a 1, then raiserror cuz some non-null value was in there twice or more.