Update nls_length_semantics!

From: Hans <sorry_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:14:21 +0100

Hi!

On a UTF-8 Oracle 9.2 database is it possible to change the NLS_LENGTH_SEMATICS from byte to char without having to recreate the table? We had the sematics set to byte and that means that in a varchar2(40) it can store 40 bytes but since some characters are two bytes or more you cannot insert 40 characters as we want.

If it is not possible to change directly is the way to do this to export data, change the semantics, create our new tables and then import just the data from the export file?

Regards
/Hans Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 06:14:21 CST