Re: Controlling the number of users in the database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:31:20 -0800

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

>>>So? Maybe the posters company has a licensing option for unlimited users
>>>as well. What does that have to do with the validity of having per user
>>>licensing?
>>
>>Maybe. Poster didn't say and I don't like to read in things that were
>>not said.

>>>So if the posters product is a database centric word processor then
>>>everything's fine? Why does it really matter? What are these black and
>>>white distinctions you seem to see that I don't?
>>
>>Not as far as I'm concerned. I won't install anything on a production
>>Oracle server where I have to account for this type of licensing.
>>
>>It would be a mistake for someone to now extend my remarks into some
>>kind of fanatical extension that says no one should ever license this
>>way under any circumstances with any product in any country. It is
>>just a simple statement of fact that applies to me and those enterprises
>>where I have decision making or advisory authority.
>

> Well many ERP systems license on a per seat/per module basis. Presumably
> you'd recommend some other DBMS for them <g,d&r>.
>
> I'm with Richard and the OP, per user licensing is a perfectly valid license
> model. It becomes rather more difficult to enforce than per processor when
> you take alternative access, or connection pooled access into account, but
> its still valid - especially for client server apps. I'd really like it if
> the EM management event system that Oracle supply were licensed per user of
> the event system, for example, rather than per processor of the monitored
> systems. Pricing management tools based on how many processors the monitored
> system hardware has seems entirely indefensible.

Assume that the ERP system is web based which is reasonable.

Further assume the ERP system uses connection pooling which is also reasonable.

How many users will Oracle see?

Per user licensing on a database server has outlived its usefullness.

And the way things are going I don't expect per CPU licensing to be around much longer either. We are building mainframes one node and one blad at a time. The only licensing model I forsee is the one used on mainframes. How many ticks on the clock!

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington