Installation Problem Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

From: Fred*** <fredmotta_at_centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:31:02 -0800

I'm trying to install 9iR2 on a Redhat AS3 machine and I'm getting an error when running 'runInstaller'. I am doing this from an X session physically on the server; not remote.

As 'oracle' user, I get the following error:

[oracle_at_mymachineDisk1]$ ./runInstaller
[oracle_at_mymachineDisk1]$ Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
/tmp/OraInstall2004-11-28_02-58-23AM/jre/bin/java. Please wait... Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at
sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:59)
        at

java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment .java:58)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:188)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:315)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:262)
        at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.main(OiicInstaller.java:593)

It hangs on that last line.
I tried exporting DISPLAY in different forms like this with the same results:

mymachine:0.0
localhost:0.0
127.0.0.1:0.0

What is odd also, is that as 'oracle' user, I get this error when testing 'xclock' from an X session. This does not happend as root:

[oracle_at_mymachineoinstall]$ xclock

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0
[oracle_at_mymachineoinstall]$

I'm thinking that this is some kind of security or permission issue but don't know where else to look.
Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Fred*** Received on Sun Nov 28 2004 - 05:31:02 CST