Re: Getting Experience with Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2004 10:13:29 -0800

Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<co20ph$nns$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > My experience may be skewed, but my observation is that most people
> > working on Oracle started out on something else. Sometimes even being
> > told they are "the Oracle DBA" one day, 'cause no one else knows about
> > computers.
> >

> 'cause you know how to spell D-B-A. :)

:)

Actually, when I was doing the support thing at a vendor, I was helping PC people who quite literally had never heard of DBA, then one day "here's some cd's and the hardware guys hooked up the computer, install hp-ux, oracle and the app." Of course, I got the support job after working on Oracle, not the other way around. Some cow-orkers were upset that the vendor had hired me instead of training them on Oracle (the architect and I did some training, but the vendor really should have sprung for more for them. A typical problem in lean companies - "you are too valuable doing the old stuff. And the new guy is too busy with new Oracle customers to do the old stuff. And there isn't enough coverage to send people away for training." Even with all that, I thought the company did it at least half-right, a range of experience and training is better than a bunch of green OCP's.)

Sometimes being in the right place at the right time is dumb luck, other times you have to make your own luck.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "Right now, our whole country's on life-support
from Beijing and Tokyo.  But the more money they lend us as the dollar