[PL/SQL NEWBIE]Detect Varchar2 field length

From: Alex NSB <alexnsb_at_tin.it>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:17:08 +0100

I'm pretty sure this is something really simple, but couldn't figure it out so far.

After posting a web form to a PL/SQL procedure, I'd like to check if the content of a particular field on the form (textarea) exceeds the maximum defined length of the corresponding db column (varchar2).

If possible, I would like to do this check in a "flexible" way, so that if in the future I change the field size on the db my code won't need maintenance (I was thinking about something like mytable.mycolumn%length).

Does it make any sense? How can I do it?

TIA. Alessandro Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 08:17:08 CST