Re: Controlling the number of users in the database

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:24:15 GMT

DanO wrote:

> I have been tasked with finding a way to control (limit) the number of
> users that log into the Oracle database while using our proprietary
> application product. For example, a client may buy our product and
> purchase a 100 user license. We need a way to prevent the 101st user
> from logging into the database.

If I needed to approach this from the database side, I'd probably use a complex algorithm that's invoked through the database's login and logoff triggers. Probably end up abusing the Virtual Private Database's context capabilities and a very tight IOT table to track the actual count.

Simpler bet is to learn to trust DBAs and keep the count controlled in the init file (possibly with a periodic audit).

Consider reading 'Effective Oracle 10g Database Security by Design' (http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/oraclepress/) for some hints.

/Hans Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 07:24:15 CST