Getting Experience with Oracle

From: Sam Whetstron <whetstron_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 22 Nov 2004 10:12:39 -0800

Hi All,
Please accept my apologies if this is off-topic (*1).

Basically, I am interested in gaining experience with Oracle in order to improve my career prospects.

Obviously, Oracle isn't freely downloadable, and if it was, I strongly suspect that it would be a major PITA for someone with little practical experience to install and administer.

Bearing this in mind, I'd be interested in hearing how contributors to these groups (comp.databases.oracle.server and comp.database.oracle.misc) gained experience with Oracle; in particular, those who came to it in the past five or so years, and those who work with Java/J2EE.

Any response would be appreciated (*2). Thanks!

(*1) If so, I'd appreciate being pointed- via email to avoid further
offtopic postings in the group- in the right direction.
(*2) Except "**** off" ;-)