Re: SQL HELP!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:24:52 -0800

Jeremy Ambler wrote:

> Designing a Simple Database
> ---------------------------
>
> Design a simple database for storing information
> about your private Book collection. The ideal design for the database
> will
> represent all the information specified in an easily understood schema
> without
> unnecessary redundancy. You must follow the relational database
> design
> methodology (normalization), and indexing (to speed up your 10
> queries).
> The database should include at least 10 tables.
>

> Section 1: The Database Schema
>
> The database must allow the representation of the following kinds of
> information in an SQL Schema:
>
> 1. Books are identified by number (ISBN).
> 2. Categories (fiction, non-fiction, science, math. etc.)
> 3. Title, Subtitle, General Description
> 4. Arbitrary number of separate chapters. Each chapter has a
> title.
> Might have chapter author(s).
> 5. Arbitrary number of separate sections (within a chapter).
> 6. Arbitrary number of separate subsections (within a section).
> 7. Arbitrary number of separate subsubsections (within a
> subsection).
> 8. Furthermore people, objects (dogs, F-14, Toyota Camry,
> buildings
> landmarks), and events (WWI, Gulf War), would have to stored in
> the database.
> 7. You may introduce other properties.
>

> Section 2: The Updates (INSERTs, DELETEs, and UPDATEs)
>
> Give SQL statements for the actions:
>
> 1. Add your DB book into the database.
> 2. Add Oracle as a company that is mentioned in chapter 25 section 2
> of your DB book.
> 3. Add George Bush as a person of the database (make up his
> address,...etc.)
> 4. Add John Gotti as a person of the database associated with the
> Gambino
> crime family (make up address,...etc.)
> 5. Record that chapter 10 in LORD OF THE RING from page 189-210
> contains:
> Elijah Wood (Frodo), Sean Astin (Sam), and Andy Serkis (Gollum),
> each
> associated with Mount Doom and the Ring.
>
> Section 3: Queries
>
> Give Select statements that answer the following questions for any
> instance
> of your database.
>
> 1. Which book include "Bill Gates"?
> (give title/ISBN/author/chapter)
> 2. Which chapter include the Statue of Liberty?
> (give title/ISBN/author/chapter)
> 3. Which pages have topic on NASA Mars Mission?
> (give title/ISBN/author/pages)
> 4. Which is the longest fiction book in your collection?
> (give title/ISBN/author/)
> 5. Which book has the longest chapter?
> (give title/ISBN/author/chapter number)
> 6. Which category of book do you have the most?
> (give category/count)
> 7. What are the names, address and phone numbers of all people
> [...]

You are ethically challenged and need to have a serious discussion with an ethicist, theologian, or perhaps your parents about cheating.

As an instructor at the University of Washington I know what I'd do if you were one of my students ... and you deserve the same.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington