Re: BLOB/CLOB or Organization Index advice

From: Alf <not_at_here.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:43:40 -0000

> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently I have a table set up as Organization Index. Three variables
> > define the index to the parent and four numeric variables are the row
data
> > (1 to 4 completed).
> >
> > On average I have 25 rows but at an extreme I could have well over 100.
> >
> > My database is PC based and with just over a months worth of data I have
> > 2635053 rows of detail data for 98950 parent rows - and I intend to have
> > many months on-line - though they will be accessed through other tables
so
> > it can be split between many tablespaces segregated by time (although I
> > haven't really though about that yet).
> >
> > Also, for my application, it generally only makes sense to access the
detail
> > rows via the parent and access is mainly for reports so fast real-time
> > access is not really a priority.
> >
> > So, finally, my question: is organization index the "best" way to go
about
> > storing this data given the above?
> >
> > Are there overheads or limitations implied that I may hit as the amout
of
> > data grows?
> >
> > Or, would I be best served packing the data into a BLOB/CLOB field in
the
> > parent table and parsing out the data into its individual rows as needed
on
> > query?
> >
> > Thanks for any input/advice .
>
> Al, you do not really want to consider parsing out the data rows from
> a clob do you?

Well if there was a big downside to the Organization Index method with millions (literally) of rows then I'd do whatever will make my life easier in the long run ;)

Don't forget I dont reall need real-time access to the data as it will mostly be used for reporting.

> Look up partitioning in the Concepts and DBA Administration manuals
> and see if that fits your needs.

Are you suggesting theres no potential disadvantage with the Organization Index method - Id hoped this was so and if I partition on date (range partitioning as suggested by DA?) then
everything should be hunky dorey?

Cheers Received on Sun Nov 14 2004 - 20:43:40 CST