BLOB/CLOB or Organization Index advice

From: Alf <not_at_here.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:34:01 -0000

Hi,

Currently I have a table set up as Organization Index. Three variables define the index to the parent and four numeric variables are the row data (1 to 4 completed).

On average I have 25 rows but at an extreme I could have well over 100.

My database is PC based and with just over a months worth of data I have 2635053 rows of detail data for 98950 parent rows - and I intend to have many months on-line - though they will be accessed through other tables so it can be split between many tablespaces segregated by time (although I haven't really though about that yet).

Also, for my application, it generally only makes sense to access the detail rows via the parent and access is mainly for reports so fast real-time access is not really a priority.

So, finally, my question: is organization index the "best" way to go about storing this data given the above?

Are there overheads or limitations implied that I may hit as the amout of data grows?

Or, would I be best served packing the data into a BLOB/CLOB field in the parent table and parsing out the data into its individual rows as needed on query?

Thanks for any input/advice. Received on Sun Nov 14 2004 - 13:34:01 CST