Re: Why choose Oracle?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:40:56 GMT

stokefan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder where would be the best place to look and ask why I'd choose
> Oracle as a database for a web application please?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

There are many different objectives, parameters, requirements, desires and needs for a web based application, and these influence the features and capabilities required of your infrastructure.

Oracle has literaly 1000's of capabilities - unless you want a dump of all (which will never happen here), you need to specify why you think you need a database and we might be able to match the reasons with the features. (Besides, a data dump results in a list, not in information.)

To get you started on the 'what can Oracle do' side ....

  1. Oracle Essentials from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials3/
  2. Concepts manual from http://tahiti.oracle.com

IMO, the reason to choose Oracle is _not_ the fact that is one of the most scalable, highly available, reliable and fast databases. I'd choose it because includes a large number of utilities and built-ins that can drive _down_ the total cost of your project IF you decide to use them (instead of duplicate them as most developers do.)

IOW, many organizations fail to define requirements _before_ starting the implementation selection and then try to shoe-horn Oracle into a small niche of the development (data bucket). That results in frustration and wasted money for all! The Oracle Essentials book is useful.

JM2CW
/Hans Received on Sun Nov 14 2004 - 09:40:56 CST