Re: External authentication from Windows to Unix

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:05:12 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1100234128.112503_at_yasure...
> m.t.ellis_at_gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi folks. We've got Oracle database living on a Unix server, and some
>> Windows machines that want to talk to it. Is there any way I can safely
>> use external authentication on the Windows boxes so I don't have to
>> store username/passwords in config files?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Matt
>
> Use can do with externally authenticated accounts such as OPS$.
>
> But safely? That is quite another matter. Why are the users too
> lazy to have and regularly update passwords?

Because users are. In fact everyone is (or should be assumed to be). I'd lay a lot of money that an organisation that uses some SSO solution and so gives everyone just the one password, will have fewer security breaches than one that requires different regularly changing passwords and userid for each system. I have an online banking system that takes this 'secure' approach to authentication. First it has a long alphanumeric user id, it also has a password and pin and asks me for different combinations of characters and numbers from the two each time, result they get written down!

All of which is a long way around to day the OP should probably investigate OID for his particular request.

I'd also query the request. what do you have against storing authetication information in text files (or the windows registry) both can be appropriately secured.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA