Re: Oralce newbe

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:29:19 +0100

Steve Lenaghan wrote:

> What I so enjoy about 'support' groups is the appearance of those who

This is NOT a support group. This is all volunteers - if you don't like the answer you get, don't ask the qestion.

> won't answer a question directly but feel obliged to question my logic
> in product choice. I would dearly love to buy the nicest toys and hire
> to top IT's to set all up. But I can't and I won't. To read the
> promotions I had the top product but now it's a POS. Do me a favor give
> me all the advice you are willing to but never question my judgment,
> that sours any respect I may assume for you.
> S. Lenaghan, Flame off
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Steve Lenaghan wrote:
>>> I recently purchased Netware 5 which came with Oracle 8.  I have no
>>> experience with this product.
>>> 1- Where can I find on line manuals?
>>> 2- I need a database to display real time on multiple terminals for a
>>> dispatch situation without manual refreshing.
>>> TIA
>>> Steve L.
>> Don't bother. Oracle 8 is a decade old, unsupported, and obsolete.
>> Go to and download a current version or purchase
>> the CD Pack at

And it is still a very valid answer; the version you got has seen 4 or five major releases since! There's more productiviy, more options (you refer to Geo data...) in the later versions. No I do not work for Oracle, or get paid by them!

The only question you need to solve, is a legal one. Iirc, the Novell+Oracle8 came with a 5-user licence. Will this packaged deal be sufficient to upgrade to 9iRelease2, or 10iRelease1?
I'd say: give you local Oracle rep a call, any answer from this ng would only reflect the local conditions, which can be different at your end.

Frank van Bortel