Re: DESC() -func- in Oracle 9i

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:48:29 -0800

dbyy wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in news:1100233782.273078
> @yasure:
>

>>dbyy wrote:
>>

>>>yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Malcolm Dew-Jones) wrote in

> DESCENDing

>>>Actually my question was:
>>>Is a DESC or DESCEND _f_u_n_c_t_i_o_n_ available on in Oracle 9i?
>>>
>>>I know the clause DESC can be used in ORDER BY or CREATE INDEX.
>>>But I have to use the DESC function in PL/SQL code.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Fred
>>
>>Instead of assuming we have any idea what it is you are trying to do

>>we don't ... why don't you tell us rather than referring us to an
>>obscure product and its functionality?

> hi Daniel,
>
> I thought I did that exactly (explained what I want to accomplish) in the
> 2nd paragraph of my first posting.
> I apologize If I hadn't been clear enough.
>
> And Clipper might be in your point of view 'obscure' - not in my opinion.
> Clipper was already on the market at the time as nobody talked about
> Oracle yet.
>

> Cheers
> Fred

Obscure as in this is 2004. Would you expect people in an Oracle forum to also be experts on Advanced Revelation, Pick, and Ingres because they are as old as the oceans?

And no what you wrote in the second paragraph was not descriptive enough as you should have surmised from the responses you receive. A short demo of inputs and outputs would have provided clarity.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington