Re: DESC() -func- in Oracle 9i

From: dbyy <noname_at_fooled.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:28:20 GMT

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in news:1100233782.273078 @yasure:

> dbyy wrote:
>
>> yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Malcolm Dew-Jones) wrote in
>>

>>>dbyy (noname_at_fooled.com) wrote:
>>>: hi everyone,
>>>
>>>: I have the following situation:
>>>: We're converting an existing database (Clipper DBF tables) with
>>>: several Clipper and DELPHI applications to Oracle 9i using Mediator
>>>: by OTC.
>>>
>>>: On couple of tables we have a column which is a column with a
>>>: combined index field from the old table (I know this is not data
>>>: normalization) e.g. <XXXXXYYYYYZZZZZ> - (VarcHar15).
>>>: One of this values (ZZZZZ) is in the original DBF table in
DESCENDing
>>>: order converted by a Clipper function DESCEND().
>>>
>>>: My question is, is there a DESC() function available in Oracle which
>>>: can do the same trick in a sp/trigger then the clipper function did.
>>>
>>>The data isn't stored in any particular order in the oracle database,
>>>so I am not sure you are asking the proper question.
>>>
>>>You can ask oracle to display the data in any order you wish,
>>>including based on portions of a column or other more complex things.
>>>
>>>Do you need to efficiently find a row based on a key that is a portion
>>>of a column?
>>>

>> Actually my question was:
>> Is a DESC or DESCEND _f_u_n_c_t_i_o_n_ available on in Oracle 9i?
>>
>> I know the clause DESC can be used in ORDER BY or CREATE INDEX.
>> But I have to use the DESC function in PL/SQL code.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Fred
>
> Instead of assuming we have any idea what it is you are trying to do
> we don't ... why don't you tell us rather than referring us to an > obscure product and its functionality?

hi Daniel,

I thought I did that exactly (explained what I want to accomplish) in the 2nd paragraph of my first posting.
I apologize If I hadn't been clear enough.

And Clipper might be in your point of view 'obscure' - not in my opinion. Clipper was already on the market at the time as nobody talked about Oracle yet.

Cheers
Fred Received on Sat Nov 13 2004 - 16:28:20 CST