Re: Oracle Backup for dummies?

From: Turkbear <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:46:48 -0600

"tpcolson" <> wrote:

>I've set up an Oracle 9i (9.0.2) database to serve as a spatial repository
>for ArcSDE GIS data ( Now....I am by no means a db admin...or
>a SQL programmer. This DB is for storage of GIS data related to a PhD
>project...and in a university setting....users are their own IT shop. The
>challenge is...I need to figure how to configure enterprise manager console
>to do backup/recovery. SO far, I've configure the dataspace holding the
>spatial data to be in "Archive Log Mode" and it runs fine...etc...I can even
>do online or offline backups. The problem is...I've been testing to see if I
>can do a recovery from the backups I've made...using the wizard in
>enterprise manager console. The recovery never works, and the database never
>starts up again, due to any number of what seems like a 100 errors.
>would think, that if you click the "recover button", it would perform a
>recovery, right? Is there anything I'm missing here? I really can't get into
>all that SQL stuff for performing recoveries. I'm trying to set this up so
>even the dumbest user (myself) can click a button or two and execute a
>recovery after they delete two weeks of project data. Thanks for any advice.

If you really expect to be able to manage an Oracle installation you better be prepared to learn 'all that SQL stuff' This is not a point and click system and never will be...

Recovery is a very broad term and requires lots of parameters to determine what to recover, from where, and how ( to mention just a few things)

There is no quick and dirty way to learn DBA procedures for Oracle..Read, test and read some more..( Even , gasp, take a class).. Received on Fri Nov 12 2004 - 14:46:48 CST

Original text of this message