Re: Oralce newbe

From: Steve Lenaghan <lenaghan_at_mts.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:57:34 -0600

Ok

I went to the Oracle site and downloaded the 10 product. Unless I read the information wrong I have a fully functional copy, just that I have to use it for application development only. Is there a license limitation?

I'm pleading ignorance here, but presently I have a Netware 4.11 system that is being replaced with the 5.x version. (budget reasons I don't go 6 yet). Will I require a separate server to have the Novell/SuSE Linux platform you recommend? As it is I have two servers, one the 4.11 on a Intel server and the call program runs off a 486 and Netware Lite. Don't laugh!. Everything is going to the NW5 server but some things can't be interrupted and the Call Center stays while we figure how to to convert it from peer to peer to a real server. The programer had no vision when he wrote it.

My major issue with the Oracle system is that my workstations will always display current active files. The projected use is moving tow truck dispatch (3 companies) off the Call Center program and getting our taxi dispatch (2 companies) into a paperless environment. I eventually hope to have the system flag duplicate calls made to each group and to flag trouble addresses. That is 'a simple matter of programming' an application issue.

The workstations are XP Pro and are also used for an intranet street guide and online road and weather conditions. GPS tracking is a future project.

Thanks

Steve L.