Re: Need help on simple Oracle question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2004 15:34:56 -0800

"Bill" <bli01_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<10p7enomdndkva8_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> The Oracle version is 9.0.1.
>
> When you said as long as the machine can cope, do you mean the processor
> speed?
>
> Also, is there any Oracle configuration parameters that should be noted to
> accomodate such transaction requirement?
>
> Thanks
>

> "Dave" <x_at_x.com> wrote in message
>
> "Bill" <bli01_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a program which contains a select of a table. And, a 2nd program
> > which contains an insert to the same table.
> >
> > The 2 programs are being executed concurrently hundreds of times per
> > minute.
> > Will Oracle be able to handle this without any problem, e.g. locking
> > problem? Is there anything special I should do to this table, so to
> > prevent problems?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> as long as the machine can cope with the number of transactions then yes,
> oracle will because reads do not block writes and vice versa
>
> p.s. always mention version

Not really a simple question, Bill. It depends on what the program is doing. For example, if the select program starts a transaction and then holds it a long time, Oracle needs to be able to keep the data to be able to reconstruct a read-consistent view of the data in spite of the other program inserting. If you have many users doing this, it can add up. If you just have one user doing it for a reallllly long time (say, a month-end batch), you can run into undo or rbs issues (depending on which you are using).

There are configuration parameters, but they should only be modified with a proper tuning methodology, which is normally an iterative process. Most tuning for this sort of thing is application tuning. If the insert program was originally written for another type of database engine (or by someone trained that way), it could be "incorrect" from the Oracle perspective of writers not blocking readers and vice versa. Also, certain selects benefit from modification of certain parameters, but that usually can (or should) be set at the session level rather than the instance.

So, "it depends."

I'm sure Dave could be referring to any hardware parameters including cpu and i/o rates. The bottleneck can change severely with small changes in app code or tuning, or even usage at the limit.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"sux – oracle" - suse oracle install