Comparison of Function-Based and regular indexes

From: Bruno <brunoterrone_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:20:48 GMT

  Hi,

 Can someone point me to a resource or share their experience on this subject?

 What is the difference in response time for SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE on a table with regular index on a varchar2 column (all values uppercase) and the same table with the same index but this time function-based, with UPPER function on the same column (with mixed case values).

 Will INSERT and UPDATE operations be slower with the function-based index? I would assume they should be, but am having hard time finding any resources. I am about to run some benchmarks on this, but am looking for a third-party opinion :-)

 Thanks!

 Bruno Received on Wed Nov 10 2004 - 23:20:48 CST