Re: unable to create INITIAL extent

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2004 16:55:09 -0800

"Michael Hill" <hillmw_at_charter.net> wrote in message news:<10p1pavm42chk36_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> I've never seen this message before. My sql was creating a table.
>
> DBD::Oracle::st execute failed: ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent
> for s
> egment in tablespace CHG_AGENT_DATA (DBD ERROR: OCIStmtExecute) at blah,
> blah, blah
>
> Am I out of tablespace?
>
> Mike

Mike, you might be out of tablespace, but you could also just be requesting a huge initial extent that is larger than any free extent in the target tablespace.

You can query dba_free_space to see how much and in what size chunks free space exists for a tablespace.

If the target database is version 8.l or higher locally managed tablespaces with uniform extents are a wonderful thing for managing (predicting) tablespace growth and eliminating the free space fragmentation problem of dictionary managed tablespaces.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Nov 09 2004 - 18:55:09 CST