Re: INFORMATION_SCHEMA views in Oracle

From: Craig Warman <crwarman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2004 06:11:08 -0800

No, my request is not reinventing the wheel. I'm very familiar with the objects in Oracle data dictionary. To be clear, INFORMATION_SCHEMA is a SQL-92 metadata implementation that some vendors (such as Microsoft, surprisingly) have implemented, while others (Oracle, in this case) have not. Oracle's reason for not implementing this is because the data dictionary views do in fact provide all of the information defined by INFORMATION_SCHEMA. I have no problem with that. The system I'm migrating, however, makes extensive use of this INFORMATION_SCHEMA metadata, so rather than re-write those calls to make them Oracle-compliant I need to first see if it would be a less time-intensive task to implement the schema (this is important to my client, to minimize codebase modifications). And, given that nature of the problem, it seems prudent to see if someone else hasn't already given it a shot before diving in.

So your response to my post was, frankly, unecessarily confrontational and abrasive. There are enough rude people on the Internet. You don't need to be one of them.

Craig