Normalisation 4NF

From: Al <question2004_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:10:29 +0000 (UTC)

Hi
Can any one help me understand the difference between 4NF and 1NF. These both refer to a field that has more than one value - so what is the difference?

All books I have looked at only consider the 4NF on its own and none of them shows an example starting from 1NF and going through all stages right to 4NF.
So it is difficult for me to see why the multi-valued field has not been taken out
when examining the repeating groups at the stage of 1NF.

I appreciate a clear explanation or full example showing 1NF to 4NF..

Al Received on Sun Oct 31 2004 - 13:10:29 CST