Re: INFORMATION_SCHEMA views in Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:14:23 -0700

Craig Warman wrote:

> I'm working on a MS SQL to Oracle migration project for a Perl-based
> system. This system makes use of the INFORMATION_SCHEMA metadata
> implementation in MS SQL. I'd like to emulate that in an Oracle
> 9.2.0.4 instance, which (I believe) means I'll need to develop some
> equivalent views in a schema of that name.
>
> I've done a good bit of searching, and found a posting in this forum
> by Peter Weighill (link below) that provides a starting point. But
> before I go re-inventing the wheel, has anyone come up with anything
> more comprehensive than what Peter posts there? If so, I'd like to
> build on that if I could.
>
> Here's a link to the above-mentioned post:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ca4tin%24sca%241%40hercules.btinternet.com
>
> Also, if this post comes to the attention of Peter Weighill, just
> wanted to pass on my thanks for his having shared that info.
>
> Craig

Your entire request is "reinventing the wheel": You just need to learn the objects in the data dictionary.

Log onto Oracle with DBA privs and perform the following: SELECT * FROM dictionary;
Which item has what you are looking for you'll need to figure out as you've given us no hints.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington