Re: XML (and noobie question)

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 28 Oct 2004 11:34:30 -0800

KurtisK (KJKYLE_at_COOLBLUENOSPAM.COM) wrote:
: This block shows how we do this in our application. We basically pass in a
: CLOB parameter to stored procedure. In the procedure, we append to this
: CLOB using

: Oracle's XML functions. Hope this helps.

: Kurt

: xmlDoc XMLTYPE;
: responseXML CLOB;

: DBMS_LOB.createtemporary(responseXML, TRUE);

: responseXML := '<?xml version ...>';

: SELECT XMLAGG(XMLELEMENT("Equipment", XMLATTRIBUTES(EquipmentID AS
: "EquipmentID"),
: XMLELEMENT("DatasetID",
: DatasetID),
: XMLELEMENT("LastModified",
: LastModified)))
: INTO xmlDoc
: FROM tblEquipment;

: IF xmlDoc IS NOT NULL

: THEN

: DBMS_LOB.append(responseXML, xmlDoc.Getclobval);

: END IF;
I've read examples like this, but they always leave me with a "lack of understanding something fundamental" question.

This code appears to be running on the server. That means that responseXML is stored in the memory of the server computer - so how does the data typically then get from there to what ever eventual facility is going to use the data?

The only time I used LOB (CLOB BLOB, I don't recall) I wanted to get the data from the LOB column (on the server) into a file locally. and later put that file back into the LOB column. I used an OLE control to do this, but never figured out how to do it directly myself, so I have no idea how the OLE control was doing this task. Received on Thu Oct 28 2004 - 14:34:30 CDT